First Aid

First Aid for Bleach In Eyes and Skin

Bleach is a handy and common household item that has many uses, from disinfecting to washing clothes. Unfortunately, its frequent use also leads to frequent injury.

Bleach injuries can be very nasty. It’s a highly corrosive substance that can easily destroy human body tissue. If you or someone nearby comes in contact with bleach, especially bleach in eyes, you need to act quickly to avoid long-term damage. Here are some guidelines for skin contact and getting bleach in eyes.

Bleach in Eyes

  • Bleach in eyes is a very serious and immediately dangerous condition, capable of doing permanent damage to eyesight. There’s really only one thing you can do if you get bleach in eyes. Luckily, it’s extremely simple.
  • If you ever get bleach in eyes, you need to immediately and vigorously wash your eyes with water. Lots and lots of water. Use a sink and splash water into your eyes. Better yet, get into a shower and let it spray water directly into them.
  • Keep your eyes as wide open as possible during this time. If you’re wearing contacts, remove them as quickly as possible to allow for full optical irrigation.
  • Flush your eyes for at least fifteen minutes. During this time, if you can contact emergency services, do so. Otherwise, wait until after your washing period.

Bleach on Skin

  • Luckily, most common household bleaches are not incredibly concentrated. If your skin comes in contact with bleach, it’s unlikely that you’ll severe pain or irritation–as long as you act quickly. If there was only a small amount of bleach, quickly wash that area with copious amount of water and soap.
  • If a larger amount was spilled on you, immediately remove your clothes and take a shower or hose yourself off. Short-term exposure usually isn’t a problem. However, if you don’t wash yourself quickly enough you can experience long-term irritation and pigmentation loss.
    If you’re dealing with industrial or concentrated bleach, the danger is more imminent, and washing yourself quickly becomes that much more important.
  • Sometimes just washing with soap and water isn’t enough. If you have easy access to anything mildly acidic, you might want to consider applying that. Vinegar, sodas, and citrus juice are good, common acids that can help neutralize the beach’s strong base.
  • You should see a doctor as soon as possible, especially if you feel irritation, itching, and burning on large amounts of skin.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

*